Re: [GNU Crypto] RFC: merging GNU Crypto and Jessie

From: Raif S. Naffah
Subject: Re: [GNU Crypto] RFC: merging GNU Crypto and Jessie
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 20:33:38 +1100

On Thursday 08 December 2005 08:21, Casey Marshall wrote:
> On Dec 6, 2005, at 11:57 PM, Raif S. Naffah wrote:

> >> Basically yes. The goal is to merge "everything with a JCE
> >> wrapper," because that will fill in many algorithms present in
> >> proprietary VMs, but currently missing in Classpath.
> >
> > cool.  i can help with this task  --can spend ~2hrs/day on this
> > until it's done.
>
> Great! School's out for me right now, so I have my weekends back :-)
>
> >> Things without JCE wrappers don't really make sense for Classpath,
> >> because they aren't portably accessible.
> >
> > dont know exactly what you mean by this but i'll have a closer look
> > at the Classpath classes; it may become evident then.
>
> By this I mean that if something can't be used through J2SE classes,
> then it probably shouldn't be merged, because otherwise we'd be
> introducing private, non-portable APIs into Classpath. Exceptions are
> things we know we'll need to use privately (e.g., if Jessie needs
> it).
>
> The assembly package is a good example: it's a neat, advanced API,
> but doesn't have any analogue in the J2SE spec.

ahhh... i was afraid of that, that's why i asked about it earlier and i
was led to believe it will be part of Classpath.

i still haven't had the time to study closely the security classes in
Classpath, but consider the following:

* the GNU Provider can implement the triplet cipher/mode/pad using the
Assembly classes.

* the gnu.* subpackages that provide the implementation for the GNU
Provider, if/when Classpath's single jar is broken into multiple jars,
can then be (jarred as one of Classpath's jars, and) used by others
wishing to use an API other than the JCA.

how does that sound?

> Thanks.

cheers;
rsn