RE: Separate obj tree

From: Kolarik, Tony
Subject: RE: Separate obj tree
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 16:29:39 -0400

[snip]

> My NT extensions basically ignore the copied files anyhow (so that
> double-clicking on an error in VC++ brings you to the correct
> copy of the
> source file).

It's sort of ironic that the first reason mentioned for using links ("makes
it possible to scan an error listing and find the actual source files that
have errors") was the same reason you have to use actual paths on NT!

The difference I see is you use absolute paths rather than relative ones
which Bob referred to in his answer.  I haven't thought about it much
(obviously) but it seems like the #include resolution problems Bob mentions
might not hold with absolute paths, at least on NT... maybe mounting disks
at different points in a tree makes absolute paths different on Unix.  On NT
you can specify the absolute path for a given disk.  Which of course causes
lots of headaches in other situations...
 -- Tony K.