Re: 2 pure and one bastard models

From: Gary Oberbrunner
Subject: Re: 2 pure and one bastard models
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 09:26:40 -0500 (EST)

  SK> ...so how about if we resurrect *another* idea that's been
  SK> kicked around on the mailing list in the past: Alias targets.
  SK> The idea would be to put back a little bit of the usefulness of
  SK> Make's "special" targets by providing a way to expand an alias
  SK> into multiple targets:

  SK> Alias 'install', qw(/usr/bin/my_prog1 /usr/bin/my_prog2);

Yeah, this is nice.  Then things could depend on 'install', it could
have an AfterBuild, etc.  I presume Alias could expand to dirs as
well, and other Aliases.

If Alias takes a command to run (string or coderef or null to do
nothing):

     Alias 'install', qw(/usr/bin/my_prog1 /usr/bin/my_prog2),
           qq(echo '%> up to date.');

then it becomes a pretty general non-file target.  And, even cooler,
it would subsume AfterBuild.  I'd expect the command to only run if
one of the dependencies were updated.

[OK, cons is fun but now I have to get some real work done... how do I
get myself into these discussions???]

--
Gary Oberbrunner                address@hidden