Re: cons for modular packages

From: Gary Oberbrunner
Subject: Re: cons for modular packages
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 08:50:45 -0500 (EST)

  SK> On Sat, 2 Dec 2000, Axel Hecht wrote:
  >> 5) how about support for configure like feature tests?

  SK> There isn't any special support for testing, but Cons can be
  SK> used very easily for executing tests.

I think Axel's talking about the kinds of "system feature tests" that
GNU configure runs on your system to see what it supports (word size,
what's the return type from malloc, does it have memcpy or bcopy,
etc. etc.) before building a package.  It generates a 'config.h' and
all your Makefiles, and then runs make.

Cons doesn't have anything like this built-in, but the beauty of it is
it doesn't *need* to because it's just perl!  You could easily run a
bunch of these tests from the Construct just like configure does (even
easier in fact, because configure has to use minimal 'sh' features and
we have all of perl), then write out a 'config.h' or whatever with
those results, then just continue on with regular cons stuff.  Cons's
dependency analysis stuff will just work like magic.  (You might have
to write a config-tmp.h, compare it with the old one, and mv
config-tmp.h config.h if it's different, to make sure the timestamp
difference doesn't cause spurious rebuilds.)

--
Gary Oberbrunner                address@hidden