Cons not working as advertized and other remarks

From: Nadim Khemir
Subject: Cons not working as advertized and other remarks
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 09:39:45 +0100

Hi,
I the section variant builds, the following example is given:

die 'somethin' unless $OS = $ARG{OS} ;

This does not work for me. I use W2K, AS 6.30 perl, half a ton modules
installed. Can someone help or point in some direction.

I am new to cons and I am starting to like it but the program deserves a
better documentation. In the 'variant build' section:

The example with OS=peach or banana is a good example for how to get
arguments (when it works :-) but that is not what I call a variant build;
it's the same build in another directory. the two last paragraphs of that
section point  towards two examples of variant builds but there are no
examples. I know how difficult it is to document ones program for beginners
and I am quite happy that there IS a documentation. but please thinnk about
new comers.

Another point: One has to gess how variant builds work. my guess is a
somehow magical assignement to the special variable $EXPORT (no you don't
mession anything about it) added with some Install commands. Is that the
right guess ?

A last word about Scons. (please let's keep the perl-python dumb war out of
this list) What's the use to rewrite a properly working program to python?
Is it to be happy with it or did you add any functionalities? wouldn't it
have better to add functionality to cons instead?

Nadim.