Re: Evolution

From: Gary Oberbrunner
Subject: Re: Evolution
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 16:30:18 -0500

Bob Sidebotham wrote:

It's called evolution, folks. Cons was a big advance over make, and
arguably has some advantages over jam, which was the source of its
original inspiration. Steven and his team have taken it to the next
level and are doing a superb job of crafting a beautiful tool. Cons
will continue to exist for a while, but I, for one, would rather see
Steven & his friends put their available energy into scons.

I'd like to take this opportunity to acknowledge all the hard work that
many people on this list have put into making cons a useful tool.
Steven and Rajesh both deserve special recognition for all they've
done.

Hear, hear! I just got done with some heavy Conscripting today, and have to say once again that cons makes a lot of things trivial.

[I for one am glad to have it in perl, which I know pretty well now, but as long as the tool and scripts are written in SOME common scripting language rather than being designed from scratch, I will be happy.]

It does seem that Scons is not up to cons's maturity level yet, so I'm not about to jump over, but since it seems likely that many of us will do that some day, how should we approach making cons enhancements, like the modularization stuff people have been talking about recently? And parallel builds, which scons already has? Should we just wait and put the effort into scons, which might take a long time but have a bigger payoff, or should we keep patching and extending cons? I've got a fairly large investment in cons and ancillary perl stuff for it, and will be happy to keep working on it for a while.

ps: how many folks on this list know python?  I don't, yet...

--
Gary Oberbrunner                address@hidden