Can't compile hello world with cons plus

From: Steve Allan
Subject: Can't compile hello world with cons plus
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 13:07:24 -0700

This message looks long, but the question is in the first few lines, so
please don't delete just yet :)

I'd like to convert my GNU make system to cons, but I need some of the
features of Cons Plus.  Unfortunately, I seem to be having trouble getting
cons plus to work. When I try to build 'Hello World' with cons plus, I get

  Error: File with unknown language,
  Error: don't know how to produce an object file from
'file=HASH(0x259410c)'.

Does this look familar to anyone?  The same source builds fine with plain
Cons.   My build environment is:

Win2K
MSVC 6
Cons 2.2.0
Cons-Plus-0.06
Perl 5.6.1 (activestate)

Here are the Construct files used and the actual output from the compile
commands:

#################
# Cons Plus - Fails
#################
> cat ConstructP
#/usr/bin/perl
use Win32::TieRegistry;
use Cons::Plus;
Default ".";
$env = Cons::Plus->new(
        ENV  =>  {
                PATH => $ENV{PATH},
                USER => $ENV{USER},
                LIB  => $ENV{LIB},
                INCLUDE => $ENV{INCLUDE}
        }
);
$env->Program('hello.exe', 'hello.c');

> cons -f ConstructP
cons.bat: error in file "ConstructP":
Error: File with unknown language,
Error: don't know how to produce an object file from 'file=HASH(0x259410c)'.

cons.bat: script errors encountered: construction aborted

##################
# Plain Cons - works
##################
> cat Construct
#/usr/bin/perl
$env = new cons (
        ENV  =>  {
                PATH => $ENV{PATH},
                USER => $ENV{USER},
                LIB  => $ENV{LIB},
                INCLUDE => $ENV{INCLUDE}
        }
);

$env->Program('hello.exe', 'hello.c');
> cons
cl /nologo /c hello.c /Fohello.obj
hello.c
link /nologo /out:hello.exe hello.obj

Cons looks *very* promising for our build system, but I need to be able to
redirect comilations into objdirs and I need Windows resource file
dependencies, both of which cons plus is supposed to be able to do.  Can
someone help me figure out where I've gone wrong here?

Thanks.

-- Steve
// WRQ has 21 years of experience providing integration software and
// services for host-intensive environments. To learn more about our
// Reflection and Verastream products, visit http://www.wrq.com/products/