Re: [GNU/consensus] [SocialSwarm-D] Zooko's Triangle

From: carlo von lynX
Subject: Re: [GNU/consensus] [SocialSwarm-D] Zooko's Triangle
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2013 11:23:17 +0200

On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 01:37:55AM -0700, elijah wrote:
> On 07/25/2013 01:02 AM, carlo von lynX wrote:
> you cannot plausibly argue that "7yuogiqxgrak36kk" is human memorable.
> you are not cheating, you just don't care about one side of Zooko's
> triangle.

Memorable is not the aim since once my connection to 7yuogiqxgrak36kk
is established I can memorize the nickname I assign to it (excuse me if
I stick to the original word for nym).

This approach only depends on my computer not being backdoored and evil
against me - but if that is the case then a memorable address won't be
of any help either.

> > Tor is leading the way. Simply by spelling out 7yuogiqxgrak36kk to you
> > we have a cryptographic guarantee that your tor node will connect to mine
> > and only to mine.
>
> onion addresses are a prefect example of why we need to do better. just
> look at all the fake onion addresses floating around the internet for
> silk road.

silkroadvb5piz3r is the correct one? it's a learning curve.. folks have to
learn that what's in front of that .onion is a lot more important than
what's behind any https. at least with silkroadvb5piz3r the challenge is
clear - just get it right. in the case of X.509 the mission is impossible:
figure out which CA's are not telling you the truth - in a world where
xx% of the CA's are operating under the patriot act.

for actual privacy there is no way around learning to handle public key
addressing, but all you need is a way to import them and then to keep
them safe in your electronic address book. it's solveable and requires
no trust towards external authorities.

> > So I'd say Zooko is a problem solved.
>
> keys as identifiers are the defining example of the problem that Zooko
> was illustrating with the triangle postulate. using keys as identifiers
> solves nothing.

there is no alternative. whatever else you have to offer is not acceptable
AFAIK.
and the pain isn't really there. people can do this for the sake of freedom
and thanks to eddie they now know it's worth it.

> > Now it's time to provide the key instead of the domain. You're living in
> > the past, Eli.  :)
>
> good luck with that. you might get some people to use it, until
> something actually human memorable comes along, which it will.

i hope there will be even better representations of public keys, indeed.