Re: [GNU/consensus] [SocialSwarm-D] Zooko's Triangle

From: Melvin Carvalho
Subject: Re: [GNU/consensus] [SocialSwarm-D] Zooko's Triangle
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2013 19:17:23 +0200

On 25 July 2013 19:11, Klaus Wuestefeld <address@hidden> wrote:
I'm 100% with Marco. Forget friendly identifiers. Tor is already
playing with fire making its keys that short.

Things will only get worse. With the advent of quantum computing we
are looking at public keys in the order of megabytes.

We will all learn to keep address books like our grandmothers did for
unfriendly six digit phone numbers and street addresses.

No big deal.

Yes, this is true, but zooko's triangle only applies to a single string identity.

In practice, identity is an OBJECT with facets.  So you can have an email, a telephone, a real name, a public key, or whatever you want.  In most cases there's no need to disambiguate, or even to remember anything.  This is exactly how facebook does it, and it works perfectly.  It's only when you pick ONE facet, and disallow all others that zooko's triangle comes into play.

tl;dr this is only a problem for identifier overloading -- make identity a multi faceted object and have the best of all worlds

Klaus
http://sneer.me