Re: [GNU/consensus] Consensus on the aims of this group

From: hellekin
Subject: Re: [GNU/consensus] Consensus on the aims of this group
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2013 11:55:59 -0300

On 11/17/2013 10:16 AM, carlo von lynX wrote:
> It is no longer clear if people in here are Social Swarm, GNU
> consensus or something else currently using the name
> #youbroketheinternet.

*** All right, it seems that my previous message was not so clear.

Here is what I think, and how I think it should happen.

1. SocialSwarm is the part of the project that focuses exclusively on
Peer-to-Peer solutions such as GNUnet, Briar, I2P, Tor, and
others--although I don't think it was it at the beginning: it was only
concerned with privacy, and the P2P approach was deemed the only one
worth exploring to foster privacy. The discussions are happening on
the socialswarm mailing list, and is often cross-posted to the GNU
consensus mailing list.

2. GNU consensus is the part of the project that focuses on easing the
path from the current situation to the situation where the Internet is
decentralized again, and freedom-respecting and privacy-respecting
networks provide social networking capabilities, regardless of the
path to go from here to there--that includes experimental, hopelessly
broken, or genius approaches: the goal is to orient, and educate
developers into making decisions towards more freedom, more
decentralization, and more cooperation on shared issues and across
like-minded projects.  The discussions are happening on the GNU
consensus mailing and are often cross-posted on the SocialSwarm
mailing list.

3. SocialSwarm, GNU consensus, and others, form a working group called
#youbroketheinternet with the focus of meeting at the 30c3 in order to
establish strategies for pushing Peer-to-Peer solutions, with the
central proposal being to build on top of the GNUnet framework.  That
specific discussion SHOULD NOT happen on the GNU consensus list as it
excludes Web-based (HTTP, WebRTC) and federation-based (SMTP, XMPP)
approaches entirely.  That discussion should either happen on the
SocialSwarm list exclusively, or be marked as being specific to the
30c3 meeting, e.g., by prefixing all posts with [YouBrokeTheInternet]
or a shorter [aGNUone].

Did I miss something?

==
hk