Re: [GNU/consensus] [SocialSwarm-D] Consensus on the aims of this group

From: Andreas Kuckartz
Subject: Re: [GNU/consensus] [SocialSwarm-D] Consensus on the aims of this group
Date: 27 Nov 2013 09:35:52 +0100

Simon Hirscher:
> 3.) We, the SocialSwarm, set out to create an actual alternative to
> Faceboogle – for the masses. That however means that we only have
> one single shot to get it right. People won't follow us from one
> platform to another, more secure one every year.
> If they really wanted to be
> a part of the SocialSwarm initiative and help with creating a secure
> Faceboogle alternative that's actually ready for mass adoption, I
> wonder what they were thinking this was going to take?

This suggests that the complexity of this task and the obstacles are
severely underestimated.

This is not a "If you build it, they will come"-type of problem.

An alternative to the existing proprietary platforms at least has to
provide some of the core features of those services which are valued by
users. But even that will not be sufficient by itself.

Developing the software is the easiest part of the solution.

Cheers,
Andreas