Re: [GNU/consensus] [SocialSwarm-D] Consensus on the aims of this group

From: carlo von lynX
Subject: Re: [GNU/consensus] [SocialSwarm-D] Consensus on the aims of this group
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2013 12:08:09 +0100

On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 03:21:16AM +0100, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
> These are modular components, which elements do you think are not being
> done successfully?
>
> TLS *as an example* lets you exchange keys, and encrypt messages.  Rolled
> out to billions of users and devices.

But it doesn't protect who is communicating with whom, it doesn't protect
the social graph of the users. Also it fails at actually authenticating
them.

> Social graph storage rolled out to 100s of millions using linked data.

Which is exactly what we NOT want. This data MUST NOT be available but
exactly to the people involved in exactly the way they are supposed to
see it, while for anyone observing network traffic it MUST NOT be
reconstructible who is exchanging data with whom.

> (Self Determined) Storage is new, but ever since we have HTTP POST and REST
> it's been possible in that protocol.  Plus any other protocol that lets you
> write can do this too.

And even that is not what we mean. We mean on the end devices of the
users, and that's it. Zero servers having access to any clear data.

> Why cant this be done in a modular way with different teams working on
> different pieces and then put together.  I agree maybe not all pieces are
> perfect, but we cant some of us work on fixing the bugs working together?

All the projects that work on something similar are featured on the
map. There may be a few more operating in the dark.