Re: [GNU/consensus] [SocialSwarm-D] Consensus on the aims of this group

From: Melvin Carvalho
Subject: Re: [GNU/consensus] [SocialSwarm-D] Consensus on the aims of this group
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2013 02:05:57 +0100

On 20 November 2013 01:57, Simon Hirscher <address@hidden> wrote:
On Sun, Nov 17, 2013 at 5:41 PM, Nick Jennings <address@hidden> wrote:
> I did participate in the meeting in Berlin in August as part of the unhosted
> movement, specifically Sockethub and remoteStorage. Although we did agree on
> those 4 points listed, there was no consensus on the conclusion being "throw
> it all out and start over".

No, and I don't think Carlo meant starting all over. He simply
repeated that our goal is to find, assemble or (if necessary) write
that piece or even stack of software that fulfills those 4
requirements. And that's what the workshops @30C3 are going to be
about, right?

Im curious as to how it is possible to have "self determined data storage", yet also preclude use of the web to store that data?

> Although I think what Carlo is doing is
> interesting and has a lot of potential, I think there are still many things
> to be done to improve privacy and improve or create new paradigms for the
> responsibility of developing for the web, and expectations of users.

Yes, there definitely are. And there're certainly several approaches
(like unhosted) that don't contradict those 4 points so we'll
eventually might talk about how to combine them (as we already started
to do). But our first and primary goal really need to be those 4
points. I would have thought that we all agreed on this back in
Berlin?