Re: [GNU/consensus] [SocialSwarm-D] Map of Projects / Sessions at 30C3

From: Melvin Carvalho
Subject: Re: [GNU/consensus] [SocialSwarm-D] Map of Projects / Sessions at 30C3
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2013 13:30:21 +0100

On 17 November 2013 11:29, Andreas Kuckartz <address@hidden> wrote:
carlo von lynX:
> On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 03:28:38PM -0300, hellekin wrote:
>> *** We need to distinguish two vectors in our working group.
>>
>> One is the hardcore P2P "next generation" that focuses on GNUnet and
>> peer-to-peer solutions ; and the other is the "transitional" that
>> focuses on how to go from here to there, including contemplating
>> alternate paths, such as patching hopeless protocols, or seeking to
>> reform the existing nightmarish hell of a reality.
>
> No, we don't need to make that distinction. At the last meeting
> there was a clear majority who only wants to get something solid
> off the ground and doesn't care for legacy patchwork.

Was there a vote on that? What does clear majority mean (60% of the
participants? participants representing 90% of users?) ?

Can you name those projects represented in that meeting which do not
care about improving the situation for users of what you call
"legacy"-software and -standards ?

At the workshop lots of projects were represented, including a good mix of P2P techs and web.

Carlo gave a presentation where he argued that the federated social web, or even the web in general, would lead to centralization such as we've seen in webmail.  We didnt spend that much time talking about the web.

I can understand the point of view, but I am unsure that there was unanimous agreement.  There was a session where one goal was to get a large user base, and another where interaction with existing systems was a goal.

I left slightly early to get my train, but towards the end there was a contingent that was keen on a DNS replacement, some viewing it as a "nice to have" others as a "central component"  my personal concern is that this might be taking on too much.

Cheers,
Andreas