Re: [GNU/consensus] Map of Projects / Sessions at 30C3

From: carlo von lynX
Subject: Re: [GNU/consensus] Map of Projects / Sessions at 30C3
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2013 16:21:40 +0100

On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 08:39:36AM +0100, Andreas Kuckartz wrote:
> > web browsers are not suitable for private communications. they should
> > be used for accessing websites.
>
> They _are_ used for private communications. And I am not aware of any
> reason why they can not be sufficiently improved regarding security and
> privacy.

So you are advocating for integrating GNUnet or Tor into the distribution
of web browsers? Because that is what this working group is about. Actual
protecting of transaction data, not just pseudo end-to-end encryption in
Javascript.

> There are several good reasons why the (vast) majority of users does not
> want to install software in addition to a web browser to be able to
> communicate with others. Alternatives or design requirements which do
> not take that into account will not lead to a different situation.

That is outside the scope of this working group. People who are not going
to have a Tor or GNUnet node on their computers can't be helped.

So let's consider the possibility that the W3C requires all browser
vendors to upgrade to a "Tor Browser" with built-in end-to-end
messaging separated from the regular web rendering engines.

Let's also presume that the privacy community doesn't fall prey to
that trojan horse called WebRTC which comes equipped with MITM
capabilities and missed the chance to at least mandate pinning.

How many minutes would it take until all major vendors are compelled
to provide backdoors? How many >90% of humanity are using web browsers
from insecure sources?

Don't you see that the architecture of the web is completely hopeless?

The problem with congregations like W3C or the FSW events is that
people who actually know how bad the situation is DON'T GO THERE TO
DISCUSS IT. And if they do, like we did in 2011, WE ARE HARDLY TAKEN
IN CONSIDERATION because there isn't enough competence to even
UNDERSTAND WHAT WE ARE TALKING ABOUT.

These are the people we should trust for technological developments?
SRSLY?

Please shut down the W3C. I know it since I volunteered at the 1995
web conferences. I can't recall it achieving anything good ever since.