Re: [GNU/consensus] Map of Projects / Sessions at 30C3

From: Andreas Kuckartz
Subject: Re: [GNU/consensus] Map of Projects / Sessions at 30C3
Date: 15 Nov 2013 18:37:43 +0100

hellekin:
> On 11/15/2013 01:49 PM, Andreas Kuckartz wrote:
>
>> A chicken-and-egg or bootstrapping problem. It obviously is not
>> trivial to solve. And it includes the operating system.
>
> *** I guess you can use plural here: operating systems, since
> phones are now (ahaha) known to run another chip-borne, proprietary
> operating system that accesses to any peripheral from USB to GPS.

Plural, yes. There are at least two operating systems in a modern
mobile phone: The "main" one such as Android or CyanogenMod and the
one on the SIM card. (In a support phone call with my mobile service
provider the support person informed me that they would "restart your
card" in a few minutes. The problem then disappeared.)

> A simple approach to the bootstrapping problem is to ship software
> as part of the operating system.

But how do you know that the shipped operating system was not
compromised? Where is the trust anchor?

I have seen a mail on the Tails mailing list about how to ensure or
verify that the content of a USB memory stick with Tails was not
modified. That is non-trivial when the number of USB sticks is large.

Cheers,
Andreas