dazuko-devel

Re: [Dazuko-devel] 2.0.6 released

From: Calin A. Culianu
Subject: Re: [Dazuko-devel] 2.0.6 released
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2005 10:57:01 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005, Sami Tikka wrote:

figure out if the "other daemon" caused this disk access. But to be safe, this means I always need to have free threads waiting in dazukoGetAccess_TS() (and how exactly do you make sure you have enough free threads? :)

Well you ensure there are free threads by keeping track of which threads are busy and which are idle. You can define idle as a thread that is sitting blockd inside dazukoGetAccess_TS(). Busy can be defined as a thread that has a dazuko access and is in the process of servicing it.

Anyway, if idle ever hits zero, create a new thread. This way, there are never 0 idle threads for long. Each new access that is being serviced has the potential for generating a new thread to service a future access. This way the system can never hang..

Oh.. and you need to check the idle and busy count on thread creation and/or when threads transition to new states.

That's my approach.. there probably are others...

-Calin