dazuko-devel

Re: [Dazuko-devel] 2.0.6 released

From: John Ogness
Subject: Re: [Dazuko-devel] 2.0.6 released
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 10:22:17 +0100

Sami Tikka wrote:
P.S. A somewhat-related question: If I have a threaded application (and I do) and one or more of the threads register with dazuko, does dazuko intercept file accesses of threads belonging to the same process but have not registered with dazuko? (I have been working with the assumption that dazuko intercepts all threads, regardless of process, if they have not been registered.)

For Linux, threads are implemented with different PID's. So yes, each thread is handled differently.

For FreeBSD 4, threads are implemented completely in userspace so the kernel does not see any difference between the various threads of a process. But Dazuko will not work as threaded in FreeBSD 4 anyway, because the userland threading implementation causes problems with Dazuko's kernel-blocking implementation.

For FreeBSD 5, threads are implemented at the kernel level. However, Dazuko does not distinguish between them. I consider this a bug and it should be fixed sometime in the future. (Now that I've updated my personal machine to FreeBSD 5, it will be easier to work on this.)

John Ogness

--
Dazuko Maintainer