dazuko-devel

Re: [Dazuko-devel] 2.0.6 released

From: Sami Tikka
Subject: Re: [Dazuko-devel] 2.0.6 released
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 10:26:34 +0200

Calin A. Culianu wrote:
Yeah, although for now the poor man's solution (which is what I did) is just to do the work yourself in your application of determining who you trust, etc based on things like executable name or process group id, etc. It's slower though, definitely, as you have all that context switch overhead.. but for anyone that needs it working now, it is better than nothing...

I also have a dazuko application that needs to talk to another deamon via a unix domain socket and the other daemon generates more dazuko requests.

I have a two-pronged approach:

1) I ship a patched version of dazuko that allows me to exclude processes based on their PID and

2) Just in case the dazuko is not patched, I will check /proc/PID/exe to figure out if the "other daemon" caused this disk access. But to be safe, this means I always need to have free threads waiting in dazukoGetAccess_TS() (and how exactly do you make sure you have enough free threads? :)

I am very happy that John is making good progress with the trusted application framework in dazuko 2.1.0. I hope to eventually stop shipping dazuko with my application and just tell users to download the standard dazuko and use that.

P.S. A somewhat-related question: If I have a threaded application (and I do) and one or more of the threads register with dazuko, does dazuko intercept file accesses of threads belonging to the same process but have not registered with dazuko? (I have been working with the assumption that dazuko intercepts all threads, regardless of process, if they have not been registered.)

--
Sami Tikka                          tel: +358 9 2520 5115
Senior Software Engineer            fax: +358 9 2520 5013