ddd

Error Msg: "/usr/lib/libcrypt.a": not in executable format: File format

From: Brian P Preston
Subject: Error Msg: "/usr/lib/libcrypt.a": not in executable format: File format not recognized.
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 07:48:50 -0500

Hi there.  I have an OS specific question.  The following, using a command
file to run our program with DDD 3.2.1 and gdb 4.18 works fine on RedHat
Linux 7.0, but when compiled and run on AIX 4.3, we get the following error
message:

     command:3: Error in sourced command file:
     "/usr/lib/libcrypt.a": not in executable format: File format not
recognized.

I'm wondering if this is an AIX specific issue because, as mentioned, it
works find on Red Hat Linux 7.0  After the error message is shown, I can
issue a continue and the program will run normally.  The problem is, since
we do get that error message, ddd will stop execution of the command file
and our program won't be run without intervention by issuing a continue.

The command we issue to invoke ddd:  "ddd -command commandFile"
The command issued to compile our program:   "g++ -o testMe -g testMe.C"

FYI:  Here's a message when gdb is run by itself:
     on AIX:   This GDB was configured as "powerpc-ibm-aix4.3.0.0"
     onLinux:  This GDB was configured as "i386-redhat-linux".

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Here is our command file:

file testMe
break main
run a b c d

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Here's the source to our test program:

#include "iostream.h"

int main (int argc, char *argv[])
{
  for (int i = 0; i < argc; i++)
  {
    cout << "Argv: " << argv[i] << "\n";
  }

  return 0;
}

Has anyone come across this problem or something similar before?  I've
looked around but haven't come up with a solution yet.

Any tips would be appreciated!!

-Brian Preston
address@hidden