ddd

Re: CEASE AND DESIST ORDER

From: Mark H. Weaver
Subject: Re: CEASE AND DESIST ORDER
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 21:36:05 -0400

The Free Software Foundation, which administers the gnu.org domain, is
a well-known non-profit charity organization, and I assure you that we
do not send any SPAM email.

However, we do operate several unmoderated mailing lists, and
unfortunately a great deal of SPAM is sent to these lists.  All of our
public mailing lists are operated in a secure opt-in fashion, meaning
that recipients must actively confirm that they wish to subscribe
before receiving messages.

I suspect that someone sent SPAM (containing your company's URL) to an
unmoderated GNU mailing list, which then propagated it to the mailing
list subscribers.  Our mailing list software automatically adds a URL
to the bottom of every message sent through the mailing list, which
allows them to unsubscribe.

Unfortunately, spamcop's software has a flaw -- it often blames the
administrators of mailing lists through which SPAM is sent, instead of
the true originators of the SPAM.

I cannot be sure what happened here without seeing an example message.
If you forward us such a message, with full mail headers (including
the "Received" headers which are often hidden by mail programs), I can
show you where those headers identify the true originator of this
SPAM.

       Mark  (GNU sysadmin)