ddd

Re: "Special" characters in DDD ???

From: apgaylard
Subject: Re: "Special" characters in DDD ???
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 07:37:23 GMT

> Hello Andrew,
>
> I use DDD since a few years. I am familiar with it on a basic level.
> Earlier I was running RH 7.3 and Mandrake 9.1 and everything was fine.
>
> With the RH 9.0 I realized, that DDD (the one provided by the distro and
> also v3.3.7) cannot display the central european characters, like ö, ä
> and so on. The source code in the display frame ends by them. I did not
> realize this problem with the previously mentioned distros.
>
> I took also the source code of DDD and compiled it myself, but it did
> not change anything on the problem. Can you explain me, what is this?
> Can you help me to solve this?

This sounds like a problem I've seen myself.

>From the file PROBLEMS (which should have gone into the 3.3.7 release,
but was forgotten by mistake):

Reported by: Andrew Gaylard <address@hidden>

    If the command window appears as follows on startup:

        GNU DDD 3.3.7 (i686-pc-linux-gnu), by Dorothea L(gdb)ᅵ

    then you probably have $LANG set to something like "en_US.UTF-8".
    Setting it to either "C" or "en_US.iso885915", or unsetting it completely
    will fix this problem.

    Alternatively, link with Lesstif.

    This has been observed on Redhat-8.1, but probably affects other
    Unixes as well.

I'd like a proper fix for this (i.e. which doesn't require changing
$LANG), so if any Motif experts understand what's going on here,
please let me know.  I've looked through the O'Reilley Motif books,
but I couldn't find any information on
this.

This message was sent using M-Web Airmail - JUST LIKE THAT
M-Web: S.A.'s most trusted and reliable Internet Service Provider.
http://airmail.mweb.co.za/