[DejaGnu] Help please! expect is not recognising strings in long text ou

From: Kim Lau
Subject: [DejaGnu] Help please! expect is not recognising strings in long text outputs
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 14:21:06 +0930

Hi all

I have just started working with expect. I am trying to create
simple expect-send dejagnu tests for testing an installer.
The installer outputs information and questions to stdout and
the user responses to the questions. The installer asks things
like where do you want to install and prompts the user for a
response and the user specifies the location and so on. This
is fairly simple because I have set dejagnu act as the user.
The tests wait for the installer's questions and response to
them. This is working well except when the installer spools out
a 23801 char text that contains the license agreement information.
I have set the dejagnu test to expect certain strings from
the license agreement but what I find is that the license
agreement text scrolls pass but expect doesnt recognise any of
strings that have been specified in the expect command.

Also I find that results are not consistent each time the
test is run. Some times expect locks up!

I have tried increasing match_max to 23801 and this has stopped
the lock ups, I think, but I still get different results each
time I run the test.

Can anyone help me, please?

Regards
Kim