Re: [directory-discuss] Collection:IceCat extensions (proposed) "Edit" b

From: Joshua Gay
Subject: Re: [directory-discuss] Collection:IceCat extensions (proposed) "Edit" blocked
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2015 18:26:19 -0400

On 04/15/2015 02:04 PM, David Englund/Hedlund wrote:
> Important: "Edit" is blocked. I suggest that FSF check the session
> timeout settings for the MediaWiki that runs on this server as this is a
> long table. I could "Edit" (Sematic Forms?) to CheckFox in the list but
> it took some time (and that was merely 20% of the full table). Its not
> possible to use "Edit" with all add-ons listed in one page, please
> distribute this repository with 25 add-ons per page in 20 pages and add
> a page numbers at the bottom (as in the Trisquel web browser repository).

The purpose of Collection pages is so people can create lists of free
programs that are actually on the Directory. We never really intended it
as a place to create long lists of software to review. When we created
Collection:IceCat_extensions_(proposed), we did so in order to be able
to review a handful of add-ons at a time ... really it was a temporary
solution to a problem we didn't have a great solution for at the time.
But the lists you are proposing are very long it is not at all certain
that it makes sense to continue using Collection pages in this way. So
we mine as well try to come-up with a better solution.

How about we use a page under the FSD namespace? This is the namespace
in which we have traditionally organized various kinds of work. You can
feel free to drop the templates and just use HTML tables. You can also
feel free to organize your work in various subpages if you wish.

<https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/FSD:IceCat_extensions_%28proposed%29>

Also, David, I am giving you admin privileges so you can edit this page
in the FSD namespace. However, I ask that you please do not approve and
publish new pages in the main namespace until you have worked with
another admin (such as myself) to learn how to properly check license
information. It is important to note that by default, if you edit a page
now, it will automatically be marked as approved, so after editing a
*new and previously unapproved* page in the main namespace, please go to
the history tab and mark the page unapproved until the license info has
been has been reviewed and discussed by myself or another admin per our
usual mentoring approach for new admins. But, if you are making updates
to an already approved/published page that do not involve a license
check, you can feel free to edit the page.

If you have any questions or feel like you are stretching the boundaries
of how we are traditionally using the Directory, then please just touch
base with me before making changes. Especially drastic changes.

The work David is doing is important. It would be great if someone else
wanted to collaborate with him on organizing this work, setting goals,
and making steady progress on reviewing add-ons for GNU IceCat.

Best,

Josh

--
Joshua Gay