Re: [Replicant] [GNU-linux-libre] Criteria for Android applications

From: Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli
Subject: Re: [Replicant] [GNU-linux-libre] Criteria for Android applications
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2021 01:44:13 +0200

On Sat, 21 Aug 2021 08:34:47 +0300
Jean Louis via Replicant <replicant@osuosl.org> wrote:

> * Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli <GNUtoo@cyberdimension.org> [2021-08-20
> 23:05]:
> > In the previous Replicant versions we shipped f-droid. At some
> > point we found proof that the f-droid repositories contained several
> > applications that are problematic.
>
> As unrelated remark:
>
> It would be good to make the fully free repository of Replicant
> applications with high stress on freedom, including the exclusion of
> centralized and surveillance networks.
I think that f-droid already handles that as it probably has the
"Include anti-feature apps" disabled by default.

Here our issue is that even if we somehow removed all the applications
with anti-features we still end up with applications meant to install
software from non-fsdg compliant repositories, like the various
applications meant to install non-fsdg GNU/Linux distributions.

Parabola also has a somewhat similar filter system with the nonprism[1]
repositories, though you need to manually activate them and I'm not
sure if they correspond to "centralized and surveillance networks", but
it should be pretty close if there is not a 1:1 correspondence between
the two.