Re: Creating a survey for improving the FSD

From: bill-auger
Subject: Re: Creating a survey for improving the FSD
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2022 09:22:27 -0500

On Thu, 29 Dec 2022 06:56:55 +0100 Denis wrote:
> It explained that the directory doesn't audit binaries for
> instance. It would be nice to have a place to put that text.

i remember that discussion - in the same breath, it could also
warn against installing binaries from any party, other than your
trusted distro (that is any third-party); but to ask your distro
to package useful programs for you (and for everyone)

ie: FSD is not an "app-store" - there is an important reason why
the FSD does not have a huge shiny "install me" button, like
similar websites (tucows, download.com, app-stores, etc) - most
FSD entries will link only to a source code package; which
should be uninteresting to most people

this deficiency has become most evident recently on the 'icecat'
entry - because gnuzilla's published release binary is beyond
end-of-life and unsupported, a warning was added to the FSD
entry manually, something like: "do not use the binary package
which you may find on the gnuzilla website - it is outdated and
unsupported - rather, it gives only the `git clone` URL; and
suggests to use the guix or parabola packages, or to build from
source