Re: Creating a survey for improving the FSD

From: Panos Alevropoulos
Subject: Re: Creating a survey for improving the FSD
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2022 16:04:51 +0000

> On Thu, 29 Dec 2022 20:41:15 +0700 Ade wrote:

> it is a wiki though - thats the legacy - so my suggestion is that
> the FSD wiki could be retained as-is, but only for team members
> with write access - everyone else would use a more conventional
> website presenting the wiki data (however someone cares to dress
> it up, and whenever), but with no wiki functions and a cleaner
> interface

The FSD being a wiki is a fundamental feature of its collaborative nature and
that should not be changed.
MediaWiki offers incredible capabilities, the problem is that many materials on
the FSD are a bit messy and we lack the people with the skills/time/patience to
clean them up.

The potential of the FSD is enormous and I cannot think of a program as
versatile as MediaWiki (and its extensions) that can meet our requirements. It
would be risky, expensive, and ultimately unnecessary to design a new website.
The outdated looks are top priority, this is why the new theme will (probably)
be the first change we are going to implement. The only reason it currently
looks intimidating is because new users are discouraged by the huge walls of
text and lack of intuitive directions -- otherwise it's not particularly
complex.

Thanks again for all the feedback so far, I've noted some great ideas. Big +1
on joining efforts with FSDG.

Panos