discuss-gnu-electric

Re: [A bit longer one] Newbie finds himself confused by...

From: Tuukka Toivonen
Subject: Re: [A bit longer one] Newbie finds himself confused by...
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 11:00:34 +0300 (EEST)

On Mon, 10 Sep 2001, Filip Miletic wrote:

> 1. I built electric with Xaw, since I cannot afford motif :) and dislike it in

If you can not afford Motif, how then you could afford Electric?
For free operating systems -- such as Linux -- Motif doesn't cost anything
(search for "openmotif") and comes even with source. Even if you wouldn't
like the licensing terms, you could obtain motif clone lesstif, which is
GPL'd just as Electric itself (although openmotif seems to work better for
me).

> general. I have noticed that redrawing windows takes quite some time, which is
> in particular noticeable when resizing or moving an electric window which
> partially

Yes, this is true, especially if you use a TrueColor display mode.
You could switch "opaque" move and resize off or switch to only 256-color
mode (start X from the command line with "startx -- :1 -bpp 8").

> occludes another one. Dialogs which appear on top of a facet can disappear if
> an user tries to resize the underlying window. Actually, the widgets are all
> there

Hmm, maybe this is Athena problem. Try switching to motif (or clone).

Unfortunately I know _nothing_ about layouts, so I can not help you with
them. I have tried to learn understanding layout pictures but so far they
are just gibberish to me.