discuss-gnu-electric

Re: [A bit longer one] Newbie finds himself confused by...

From: Steven Rubin
Subject: Re: [A bit longer one] Newbie finds himself confused by...
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 09:10:54 -0700

This message did not make it to the list the first time...

1. I built electric with Xaw, since I cannot afford motif :) and dislike it in
general. I have noticed that redrawing windows takes quite some time, which is
in particular noticeable when resizing or moving an electric window which partially
occludes another one. Dialogs which appear on top of a facet can disappear if
an user tries to resize the underlying window. Actually, the widgets are all there as you can move them around but are invisible. Some dialog text boxes tend to stay
on top of the desktop after the dialog has gone away etc. Is there a way
I could work around this, besides having only one window at the desktop at all
times?

The "aw" (Athena Widgets) are old and not well supported. You can get LessTif for free and you can also get "Open Motif" for free, so you need not pay for a better interface.

2. I (am expected to) use 2u cmos technology. How does the ledit morbn20 relate
to this one?

I am not familiar with "ledit" technologies. You should be able to switch the "mocmos" technology to "scmos" rules (as opposed to "submicron" or "deep") and set lambda appropriately, and it will be acceptable to MOSIS.

3. I compared the work of a colleague of mine that was done in ledit (the horrific
edition) [http://tesla.rcub.bg.ac.yu/~filmil/xfiles/layout.gif]
with a quick few-invertors layout in electric. It seems that, for instance,
ledit allows narrower distance between the transistor active area and metal-diff contact than electric, thus making smaller transistors. Are the design rules for morbn20(ledit) and cmos(electric) compatible? This is an important question as I am required to have no design rule errors in ledit and still maintain the surface to a minimum.

Rather than compare "ledit" and "electric", why not look at the actual MOSIS rules, published on their web page (www.mosis.org)? Then you will know whose rules are correct.

4. There is a problem with the transistor node (i.e. nmos) in electric's cmos technology. Namely, drawing it and pulling out a polysilicon arc out of it generates a DRC violation stating this polysilicon is too close to transistor's PP layer. I have discovered a rule which states min distance between unconnected poly and PP, which seems to have been employed here. However, I see no way I could then connect the transistor gate to anything
as this positively requires an arc from any of its terminals.

The same holds for making a diffusion arc away from the transistor.
This does not happen with transistor_well(pmos) node,
as well as with mocmos' p and nmos. If indeed this is a bug, could anyone point out how I could correct it. Technology edit hints are ok. C edit hints are also acceptable, but I would probably refrain from tracing the error in the source as that would lead me off my coursework mainstream at the moment when time is a precious resource.

I am not aware of this problem. If you can place a single transistor, wire it up, and get a design rule violation, then this is a bug that I want to see. You can send a small library to me that exhibits this bug and I will look at it.

   -Steven Rubin