discuss-gnu-electric

Re: How to aggregate separate wells?

From: Filip Miletic
Subject: Re: How to aggregate separate wells?
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 10:28:55 +0200

Steven Rubin wrote:
> work.  It removes all pure layer nodes and calculates new ones.  You might
> want to simply place one large one with "New Pure Layer Node".

I did so, but each well auto-place removes them. I take it you recommend
ignoring the well spacing DRC warnings until the very end, right?

> >2. Does compaction from tools menu work at all or does it need to have no DRC
> It should work, but it is not very robust.

Well, for me it didn't work that well. I tried it out with a simple layout and
it did
give some very interesting placement hints, but using it on a bigger layout
looks
bad. I think compaction tries to do too much at once, trying to rearrange leads
and
everything. At last I compacted the design manually using a simple algorithm: I
find
horizontal or vertical topological ordering for the nodes and then move them
close
up until I reach DRC limit. I suppose this is far from the idea of compaction
but
worked in this case.

> The labels should be in the same place on the PostScript page as they are
> in the layout.  If the name is over an arc in the layout, it will be in
> PostScript.  But since PostScript is Black&White, this may make it hard to
> read.

I am afraid that is not the case. The place and size is alright, but the labels
are not drawn in the same way on screen as they are on paper: on screen they
are
printed on top of everything whereas on paper they are _below_. This may happen
because I use the ghostscript filter for printing since there is no native PS
printer around. GS renders the .ps file on screen and the occlusion of labels
can be seen clearly on screen.
(http://tesla.rcub.bg.ac.yu/~filmil/xfiles/celija-ff1.pdf)

> I don't understand the meaning of "zoom level".  What Electric commands do
> you wish to perform?

Sorry for not knowing the electric glossary. I guess I wanted to ask if it is
possible to define keyboard macros.

greetings,
f.