discuss-gnu-electric

RE: gnu electric

From: Steven Rubin
Subject: RE: gnu electric
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 17:24:27 -0700

 I have been trying out the electric CAD design program running under
 a Suse 7.1 operating system.

 I have it running , but I am having some problems with the java interface.

 I installed javarunt-1.1.7v3-25.i386.rpm  and java2-1.3-56.i386.rpm from the
 7.1
 Suse rpm's, and followed the instructions in the README.

 Electric compiles but when I look under Windows -> Language interpreter it
 shows "no Java".

 Any ideas on why electric is not seeing the java ?

You cannot simply install the RPM for Java and expect Electric to use it. You have to make changes to the "Makefile" and rebuild Electric. See the installation instructions for more details. One thing to check is that the RPM that you installed covers the "JDK" (Java Development Kit) which includes C compiler headers for interfacing with Java. I am not familiar with the RPMs that you mentioned (in fact, the recommended Java installation is different from that, again, see the installation instructions).

A meta-level issue is that, for new users, Java is not necessary. In fact, the interpreted languages (Java, TCL, and LISP) are only needed by very advanced users. If you are just "trying out" Electric, then skip all of this and simply start using the system.

   -Steven Rubin