Re: Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] APCO 25

From: Mark Smith
Subject: Re: Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] APCO 25
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 20:56:11 -0800

On Sat, Jan 18, 2003 at 07:39:34PM -0800, Steve Schear wrote:
> I'm puzzled by the apparent problem of patents and licensing.

So am I, and I live in the US..  :)

> Lots of
> companies are upset over DVD decryption software, yet is very widely
> available for download.
>
> There are more than a few major countries which fail to recognize
> algorithms as the basis for patents (or the "trick" of implementing them in
> hardware logic as an attempted circumvention).  If profit is not the key
> motive in releasing APCO25 code then I don't see the problem offering the
> source from one of these countries (e.g., So. Africa, Australia or New
> Zealand).

Great.  You know anyone in one of those countries who can write the
code for us?  If I (for example) were to contribute code to the project,
I think that it would still be covered (at least the parts I wrote, and
possibly the whole package) by the patent issues.

And, if I'm not mistaken, it would still be illegal for me to use it
in the US, even if I downloaded it from somewhere else.  So, while
it would help with distribution, it still doesn't address the main problem
for people like me (ie: Good, Upstanding, Law Abiding Citizens(tm)).

If at all possible, the better answer is to get the patent holders to
allow non-comercial use free of charge.  Then, there would be no problems
for someone like me to use the code, or better yet, help write the code.
--
Mark Smith - finger address@hidden for GPG v1.0.1 public key