Re: Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] APCO 25

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] APCO 25
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2003 12:31:00 -0800

On Sat, Jan 18, 2003 at 08:56:11PM -0800, Mark Smith wrote:

> If at all possible, the better answer is to get the patent holders to
> allow non-comercial use free of charge.  Then, there would be no problems
> for someone like me to use the code, or better yet, help write the code.

Or Plan B:  Design a non-encumbered digital voice system.
How about RTP over IPSEC over 802.11b, using the unencumbered 4800 b/s
FED-STD 1016 CELP vocoder.

In my experience with standards groups, there is often a bunch of
maneuvering to get somebody's, perhaps marginally better, but patented
technology worked in to the standards, instead of using the straight
forward unencumbered solution.

I suggest looking at the speed of innovation in the "old telecom
sectors" (telco and wireless), vs internet.  It appears that the open,
unencumbered philosophy which characterizes the internet is producing
improved goods and services at a *much* greater rate than the old
paradigm.

Eric