[Discuss-gnuradio] Parallel Port Interface

From: Joseph DiVerdi
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Parallel Port Interface
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 07:25:01 -0700

As I wrote recently, I am embarking on a project to apply SDR techniques to
ionospheric examination via VLF monitoring and still haven't settled on an
interface. Today, I'm thinking about the parallel port.

I'm planning to perform the experiments myself very shortly but expect that the
results are already known somewhere so I'll ask the question:

What are the limits on sampling rates when data is pumped in to a PC (running
Linux) through its parallel port?

Assuming no subsequent processing, can the port be read (8-bit data only)
400-500k times per second? Continuously? What is the load on the various
subsystems (CPU, etc)?

As the sampling times are generated externally (to the PC) via hardware, is
interrupt driven data sampling appropriate? Advisable? Effect on maximum
sampling rate? Effect on subsystem loads?

Any data, experiences, comments would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
Joseph
--
Joseph A. DiVerdi, Ph.D., M.B.A.