RE: [Discuss-gnuradio] Another good project

From: Ettus, Matt
Subject: RE: [Discuss-gnuradio] Another good project
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 11:55:42 -0800

> You said "This widget library might be a good start".  I think the
> _last_ thing we want to do is to modify qwt.  Much better to
> simply link to it.  If qwt lacks some required feature give the
> modification back to the qwt project.  Let _them_ maintain these
> widgts.  I've seen other projects bog down when they try to
> write and maintain supporting software.  Keep to the core supject:
> "radio" and leverage everything else from other people's work.

Yes.

> That RTlab.org link seems to be an interface to the same
> "Real-Time Linux" that I wrote about a few minutes ago in another
> post.  In a nutshell, that way RTL works in you install a
> real-time modual and then have it run at (say) 1Khz.  If will then
> run forever 1000 times persecond.  Normal user programs can
> comunicate with it via a normal UNIX FIFO pipe in both
> directions.  I would assume the graph widgets are written to
> support this model.

I wasn't implying that we should use their real time stuff.  In addition to
all the real time stuff, they have created Qt widgets which do graphing,
which we could use.

As for real-time, it is independent of the widgets we use for graphs, but
someone could look into getting gnuradio to be real-time aware.  That would
be another good, if more difficult project to work on.

Matt