Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Another good project

From: Chris Albertson
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Another good project
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 11:09:13 -0800 (PST)

Matt,

Thanks,  I've been looking for something like this for use on
another project.

You said "This widget library might be a good start".  I think the
_last_ thing we want to do is to modify qwt.  Much better to
simply link to it.  If qwt lacks some required feature give the
modification back to the qwt project.  Let _them_ maintain these
widgts.  I've seen other projects bog down when they try to
write and maintain supporting software.  Keep to the core supject:
"radio" and leverage everything else from other people's work.

One thing that needs to be investigated is how fast the graphs can
updated and how much of a load that places on the CPU.  A 'scope
or spectrum analyzer needs to re re-drawn about 30 times a second
if it is to look smooth to the eye.

That RTlab.org link seems to be an interface to the same
"Real-Time Linux" that I wrote about a few minutes ago in another
post.  In a nutshell, that way RTL works in you install a
real-time modual and then have it run at (say) 1Khz.  If will then
run forever 1000 times persecond.  Normal user programs can
comunicate with it via a normal UNIX FIFO pipe in both
directions.  I would assume the graph widgets are written to
support this model.

--- Matt Ettus <address@hidden> wrote:

> If you've used the spectrum analyzer or oscilloscope blocks in
> gnuradio, you
> know they aren't the best.  A good way to get started with gnuradio
> would be to
> improve them.  Zooming, rescaling, and markers would be nice
> features.
>
> This widget library might be a good start:
>
>      http://qwt.sourceforge.net/
>
> This application looks like it has some nice graphing widgets we
> could use:
>
>      http://www.rtlab.org/
>

> You can get started with a couple of the apps in the examples
> directory without
> any hardware, or you could use the soundcard.  If you need help on
> where to
> start, let me know.
>
> Matt

=====