Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] SDR 1000 progress

From: John R. Ackermann N8UR
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] SDR 1000 progress
Date: Thu, 08 May 2003 08:27:30 -0400

--On Wednesday, May 07, 2003 10:40 PM -0700 Matthew Ettus <address@hidden> wrote:

I've been making progress will AC5OG's SDR-1000 radio.  See the update at:

     http://comsec.com/wiki?SdR1000

There is also the beginnings of a python program to control the rig with
a nice GUI.  If anyone is experienced with GTK, python, and/or glade,
your help with that would be appreciated.  Let me know if you are
interested in helping out.

Great work, Matt. I've had my radio for a few days now and have mainly been wrestling with the Windows setup to get familiar with it.

Unfortunately, I don't have the programming skills you're looking for, but I'll certainly be ready to test the code and provide helpful suggestions :-)

I do have one hardware suggestion for anyone who's interested: the 7805 regulator on the PIO board (the one with the big heatsink) is dissipating a *lot* of power and on my unit, the heatsink is burningly hot. I haven't made this swap yet, but the PowerTrends (now Texas Instruments, I think) PT5101 regulator is a near drop-in replacement and offers 90%+ efficiency. I'm going to try plugging one into my unit as soon as I get a chance. It should reduce the overall current drain significantly, and allow a much smaller and cooler heatsink on the PIO board. The downside is that it's a much more expensive part than a 7805 ($11.58 quantity one from Digi-Key).

Oh, one question, Matt -- on the wiki you note to use the LINE OUT rather than SPEAKER OUT on the soundcard. All of the cards in my collection have only a single output, usually labeled as SPEAKER OUT. What to do in that circumstance? (And a follow-on question -- what about laptops like my current work machine, a Dell Latitude C640 that has only two sound card I/Os -- mic/line in, and headphones out?)

73,
John