RE: [Discuss-gnuradio] SDR 1000 progress

From: John Ackermann N8UR
Subject: RE: [Discuss-gnuradio] SDR 1000 progress
Date: Thu, 08 May 2003 13:28:58 -0400

--On Thursday, May 08, 2003 10:17:46 -0700 "Ettus, Matt" <address@hidden> wrote:

Oh, one question, Matt -- on the wiki you note to use the
LINE OUT rather
than SPEAKER OUT on the soundcard.  All of the cards in my
collection have
only a single output, usually labeled as SPEAKER OUT.  What
to do in that
circumstance?  (And a follow-on question -- what about
laptops like my
current work machine, a Dell Latitude C640 that has only two
sound card
I/Os -- mic/line in, and headphones out?)

Ok.  I haven't bothered running the windows software, and Gerald doesn't
mention it, so I'm not sure if he's using one soundcard or two.  The
problem is that, assuming you are doing voice communications, or that you
want to HEAR what is received, there is a conflict in using one sound
card.  The radio needs to use one stereo input and one stereo output
to/from the computer.  You would also need a microphone connection and a
speaker connection for your voice and listening.

I had always assumed Gerald used 2 sound cards, but since he never
mentions that, I'm assuming that instead he uses one soundcard, with the
SDR-1000 on the line in/out and a mic/speaker on the mic/speaker
connections.  This means you have to have the soundcard mixer controlled
automatically.  It also means you need a soundcard with all 4 of those
connections.
Unfortunately, most soundcards don't have all 4 of those connections.  It
also makes the software a little more difficult.

I am using a 2 soundcard setup, which is easy on a desktop machine.  On a
laptop, I think you'd be forced to use a USB or PCMCIA second sound card.
Thankfully, having 2 soundcards is no problem for Linux.

What setup have you been using under the windows software?

Gerald uses one soundcard, but does audio switching on the board and in the soundcard mixer to change the mapping between RX and TX. If I understand correctly, it works like this:

1. In RX mode, the soundcard mixer is set to use line in for the IF, and in the radio the line out/speaker out (whichever you have) signal is routed to the speakers. The soundcard output is mapped to use wave out, and disable line in (otherwise, the speakers output the raw IF signal, which is interesting but not what we're looking for).

2. In TX mode, the soundcard mixer is set to use mic in, the mic plugs into the mic jack on the radio and is routed to the mic in connector on the soundboard, and line out/speaker out is used to deliver the IF to the radio. The speaker is out of the system at that point. The soundcardmixer is switched to send wav out to the line out/speaker out jack.

So, Gerald is using switching both on the board and in the soundcard mixer to use a single card for both RX and TX functions. It's clearly a half-duplex system.

73,
John