Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] SDR 1000 progress

From: John R. Ackermann N8UR
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] SDR 1000 progress
Date: Thu, 08 May 2003 12:19:58 -0400

--On Thursday, May 08, 2003 12:16 PM -0400 "John R. Ackermann N8UR" <address@hidden> wrote:

Hi Brian --

Thanks for that info.  I've used the PT5101 several times without any
problems, but admittedly not in a low-level analog system.  It is a
complete switcher in a rectangular package about the size of an ordinary
heatsink.  It's definitely pricey, but if the noise isn't too bad, it
makes a nice solution (FWIW, I've used an LM-2577ADJ DC-DC regulator to
generate 20 volts from 12 volts for the LO brick in my 10GHz transverter,
and with a bit of inductive filtering the switching sidebands are better
than -50dBC).

Oops, forgot what I good job I'd done; I went back and looked at the pictures (http://www.febo.com/geekworks/whitebox/index.html) and after filtering the switcher sidebands were about -60dBC, just about at the noise level at 10GHz with my older model spectrum analyzer.

73,
John