Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] CVS compilation problems

From: Tom Huppi
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] CVS compilation problems
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 21:56:00 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

I just re-read this and feel like I should clarify something:

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004, Tom Huppi wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Dec 2004, Eric Blossom wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > Could also be a problem related to automake 1.9.
> > I belive that Tom Huppi reported a problem a bit earlier.
>
> Hi, Ya, I see some output that is at least related to on of the
> issues I had (a libtool problem to be aware of.)

<snip>

> BTW, for some inexplicable reason, aclocal started choosing no
> libtool macros rather than the wrong one on my system at some
> point in my experiments.  In any event, the fix I proposed solved
> that issue too.

<snip>

> A viable solution is to but a copy of the desired libtool macro
> library into the ./config directory:
>
> address@hidden ~/src/gnuradio/co/gr-build/gnuradio-core/config> cp
> /usr/local/share/aclocal/libtool15.m4 .

Let me be just a little bit more clear.  My 'proposed 'fix'' is
nothing of the sort.  Nor is it a 'solution'.  It's a quick and
dirty hack to get over an immediate issue.

The problems is either/or a deficiency in the installation design
of libtool/automake, or a deficiency in the installation of them
on my system (possibly a failure by the FreeBSD folks to correct a
deficiency in the libtool folks design upon installation.)  In any
event, the best the GnuRadio or other developers might be able to
do is recognize and work around the potential issue automatically,
but it strikes me as more of an arcane issue that might just be
documented somewhere.

Thanks,

 - Tom