Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] CVS compilation problems / automake 1.9.4

From: Tom Huppi
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] CVS compilation problems / automake 1.9.4
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2004 02:07:26 -0500 (EST)

On Saturday 25 December 2004 09:42, Eric Blossom wrote:

<snip>

>> However, it seems the libtool 1.5.6 and automake 1.9.4 don't
>> get along.

<snip>

> FYI: Gnuradio CVS as of 24-dec-04 builds fine with a later
> version of libtool.

Not to beat the subject to death, and to re-cover my other post,
the problem I'd seen was:

 - aclocal seeks out needed macros to build a local macro library
called ./aclocal.m4.  It scans the users system and optionally a
local collection of macros.

 - it is possible for aclocal to find two different versions of a
macro of the same name.  When that happens, it has no way (that
I've found) to select the 'right' one.  How would it know what
version of, say, libtool the user is going to be using?

 - it seems to be effective to present a single option in the
local macro collection (./config dir) which is, apparently, higher
in aclocal's search path.  Doing this in the distribution would
lock one to a particular version (of, in the case I ran into,
libtool) and would thus suck.

All this is to say that when one sees a problem in aclocal's
output of it not being able to find a macro, one should suspect
*their auto(x) installation* probably before condemning any
particular version or combination of versions.  This is
particularly the case on a machine with a long and/or sordid
history.

Unfortunately when I first encountered the issue, aclocal quietly
accepted the wrong macro which made it harder to debug.  In the
other user's case, it looked like several macros were not being
found.  In that case, I would imediatly suspect an auto-tools
installation problem of some sort (and wish I would have made it
more clear initially.)

Thanks,

 - Tom