Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP for YPbPr ADC?

From: Dave Dodge
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP for YPbPr ADC?
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2004 23:28:05 -0500

On Fri, Dec 24, 2004 at 05:27:34PM -0500, Dave Emery wrote:
>       Regular NTSC SDI is encoded into a 270 mbs ECL level serial
> stream with some other added optional data (including audio and vertical
> interval information stuffed into the blanking intervals).     This
> interface is what most contemporary broadcast equipment uses to
> interchange video (there is also a less used parallel version of the
> same interface) with other gear such as switchers, MPEG encoders and
> decoders, satellite receivers, special effects boxes, and disk and tape
> based storage systems.

You can also find SDI in some high end home theater switchers and line
doublers.  I think HDSDI is still too expensive for even that market.

One big catch with SDI (and I assume HDSDI) for home use is that since
it has no encryption or other protections on the data, groups like the
DVDCCA won't license consumer gear to output an SDI signal.  There are
companies that produce modchips and add-on boards for this purpose.

                                                  -Dave Dodge