Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] *much* faster filtering --- plus vhf mountaintopp

From: James Cooley
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] *much* faster filtering --- plus vhf mountaintopping
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 12:11:56 -0500

All,

I've got a Targus 150W APV07US Slimline inverter and a Buslink external usb enclosure... works great. Only things are that the Targus lets out this ear-splitting beep for some unknown reason when it starts up.... Also, my car's a bit flaky in that it shuts off the cigarette lighter power at inconvenient times!!

Another tip for all of you: Use a more ROBUST file system on the external drive. I lost a day's worth of data because I used FAT32 on the external drive and had the power shut off as stuff was being written. The FAT filesystems are notoriously lousy. I now use ext3. Do mount and umount it cleanly, but if you should lose power accidentally, you are more likely to be ok. The drawback is that you can't really use it under windows.

Try out the compression before you go all the way to a mountain top, though. :) I can't swear that my laptop isn't dropping data... I don't *think* it is (I'm packing extra header data ahead of each sample block and things really wouldn't work if the number of complex samples were messed up), but you never know. If gzip can't read from the fifo quick enough, data will just be dropped.

Any improvements, better compression schemes would be welcome! I'm sure there's a way to come up with a compression scheme that's tailored to the sort of sample data we see...

-j

cswiger wrote:

Daniel & James (et al) - Firewire or USB drive looks the way to go,
with compression in the stream (Tks James). I've found a world of
12vdc input ATX power supplies are available, like:

http://www.orbitmicro.com/products/power%20supplies/dc-dc/ps2/KPDX250H.htm

might run a small server mobo with big SCSI disk.

--Chuck