[Discuss-gnuradio] Re: some architecture clarification

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Re: some architecture clarification
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 18:31:07 -0700

On Sat, Jul 16, 2005 at 03:22:32PM -0700, Ges wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>
> Can you point me to the section of code, where the
> buffers get allocated (who calls the buffer allocation
> functions).

Look at gnuradio-core/src/python/gnuradio/gr/flow_graph.py

> Am I correct in saying that the flow_graph
> allocates the buffers for each block.

Yes.

> And that the data available in the output buffers of
> one block is copied into the input buffers of the next
> block in the graph.

Not quite.  The output buffer of the upstream block *is* the input
buffer of the downstream block.  In addition, there can be multiple
readers of a given buffer.

> I am trying to understand how exactly the GNURadio
> architecture does buffer management.
> I am trying to figure if there is a way to port PHY
> layer modules developed for the GNURadio platform into
> something like Click, in some standard way.

Maybe you can get just create a gnuradio source and sink that talk to
Click.  The gnuradio sink could "push" into click.  The gnuradio
source would "pull" from click.

Having this working would be very cool :)

> Also, I saw somewhere in the archives that the 2.x
> code supports reconfiguring the pipeline on the fly.
> Can you elaborate on that and also point me to the
> code.

  fg.stop()
  fg.disconnect(x, y)
  fg.connect(x, z)
  fg.start()

See gnuradio-core/src/python/gnuradio/gr/basic_flow_graph.py

> Thanks for the help

You're welcome.

Eric