[Discuss-gnuradio] Re: GNU.ORG mailserver blacklisted by spamcom

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Re: GNU.ORG mailserver blacklisted by spamcom
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 10:38:05 -0800

On Tue, Feb 21, 2006 at 10:24:15AM +1030, Berndt Josef Wulf wrote:
> G'day Eric,
>
> gnu.org mailserver is still blacklisted by spamcop and gnuradio isn't the
> only
> mailing list effected. as a matter of fact, there are hundreds of subscribed
> users of the long list of mailing lists that are distributed via gnu.org.
>
> Is gnu.org doing something about it? As it stands now, mailservers around the
> globe using spamcop will refuse to process mail orginating from gnu.org.
>
> cheerio Berndt

[I've copied this to the list, since it's of general interest.]

Yes, I understand that spamcop is blacklisting all of them.  (It
blacklists the IP address of the server.)

I have talked to the lists administrator at gnu.org.  The reason that
lists.gnu.org is blacklisted is that mailman sends a message back to
the sending address if the sender is not subscribed to the list,
saying "only subscribers can post".  This behavior is considered "bad"
by spamcop, and they are unwilling to change their policy.  From our
side, sending the message seems *much* more friendly than just
dropping the message.  This avoids quiet failures, etc.

Spamcop is unlikely to change their policy, and we're unlikely to
change what we consider reasonable behavior.  You will have to talk to
your ISP and tell them to stop believing everything spamcop says, or
whitelist lists.gnu.org, or something.  If that doesn't work, you may
want to "vote with your feet" and pick another ISP, or run your own
mailserver so you're not at the mercy of "somebody else's good idea".
Do you really want somebody else bouncing mail on your behalf?
Tagging the mail would be much less offensive, and then you could
either pay attention to the tag or not.  As is, "Big Brother" is
filtering mail for you.

Eric