Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] SCHED_FIFO and NPTL

From: Frank Brickle
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] SCHED_FIFO and NPTL
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2006 14:52:14 -0500

Eric Blossom wrote:

I ended up remounting the relevant filesystem as ext2 to avoid the
problem...If we never go to the disk, it might not matter at
all.

It's been a long time since I looked at these pages:

http://ardour.org/requirements.php
http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/tunesystem.html

however they're very informative and probably required reading. The key point in connection with what we've been grousing about today is this. The essential thing isn't altering the scheduler. It's getting the scheduler to run often enough.

Also I haven't been able to track it down but the other (d'oh) point is, if you're streaming to disk, why write to a journaling filesystem? They seem to be big fans of external FireWire drives for this kind of thing.

73
Frank
AB2KT