Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] SCHED_FIFO and NPTL

From: Lamar Owen
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] SCHED_FIFO and NPTL
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 10:55:55 -0500

On Wednesday 08 March 2006 14:33, Eric Blossom wrote:
> I was burned by ext3 with regard to streaming disk throughput.
> I ended up remounting the relevant filesystem as ext2 to avoid the
> problem.  I have no info regarding CPU and/or preemption issues during
> journal posting.  If we never go to the disk, it might not matter at
> all.

Our box here is a Dell PowerEdge 2850 with the PCIe PERC 4e/Di U320 hardware
RAID controller.  The data drive is a RAID0 of 4 146GB 10K RPM U320 drives,
and sustains, with ext3, over 140MB/s.  We have successfully recorded 2 hours
at 32MB/s without any known issues.  Need to test further, though.

> I installed the Reiser FS on my new laptop.  I'll let you know if I
> see anything hinky.  Haven't tried XFS.  I suspect it's OK.
> SGI built truely *monstrous* media servers using it.

Be careful which XFS version you use.  The 2.6 kernel-supplied XFS code has
some problems, and you really need the latest SGI code instead.  The CentOS 4
group is working on an XFS-enabled kernel with the newer code.  Not sure
where SuSE and Ubuntu/Debian stand.
--
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology