Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] SCHED_FIFO and NPTL

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] SCHED_FIFO and NPTL
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 12:25:16 -0800

On Wed, Mar 08, 2006 at 02:52:14PM -0500, Frank Brickle wrote:
> Eric Blossom wrote:

> >I ended up remounting the relevant filesystem as ext2 to avoid the
> >problem...If we never go to the disk, it might not matter at
> >all.
>
> It's been a long time since I looked at these pages:
>
> http://ardour.org/requirements.php
> http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/tunesystem.html
>
> however they're very informative and probably required reading. The key
> point in connection with what we've been grousing about today is this.
> The essential thing isn't altering the scheduler. It's getting the
> scheduler to run often enough.

Thanks.

> Also I haven't been able to track it down but the other (d'oh) point is,
> if you're streaming to disk, why write to a journaling filesystem? They
> seem to be big fans of external FireWire drives for this kind of thing.

Good point.  I guess that's consistent with my switching from ext3 to
ext2 for the data logging ;)

FWIW, I was running RAID-0 stripped across 3 drives.  That
configuration using fancy IBM Ultrastar 10K SCSI drives would sustain
100+ MB/s.  I suspect that you could get close today using a couple of
el-cheapo 7200 RPM SATA drives.

Eric