Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] RFID receiver

From: Harald Welte
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] RFID receiver
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 20:01:42 +0200

On Tue, Sep 19, 2006 at 11:55:51AM +0200, Erlend Barstad Strand wrote:
> Hello
>
> As a pre-project to my master-project I am considering making a RFID
> receiver with gnuradio, atleast attempt to. However I recently noticed
> that an RFID detector/receiver is mentioned as a project under
> investigation or progress in the "Exploring GNU Radio"-document.

Sorry for the late reply, but I didn't have a lot of time for keeping up
with mailinglists recently (busy with other free hardware RFID work for
http://openpcd.org).

When you talk about RFID, what kind of system are you talking about?

Which frequency? Which protocols?  Magnetic coupling, backscatter or
SAW?

I have quite a bit of experience with RFID on a protocol level.  My RFID
hardware related experience is limited to 125kHz and 13.56MHZ magnetic
coupling systems at this point.

I personally would love to see an ISO 18000-6 (UHF RFID) implementation
for gnuradio.  The biggest challenge is the analog frontend because of
the 80dB difference between Tx and Rx.  you will probably need two
antennas, and switch off / attenuate the Rx path while transmitting.

If you have any questions, just ping me.

Cheers!
--
- Harald Welte <address@hidden>                         http://gnumonks.org/
We all know Linux is great...it does infinite loops in 5 seconds. -- Linus