Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] mblock linking error

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] mblock linking error
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2007 07:39:05 -0800

On Thu, Mar 01, 2007 at 07:00:37AM -0800, Johnathan Corgan wrote:
> Tim Meehan wrote:
>
> > tim /etc/ld.so.conf
> >
> > /usr/X11R6/lib
> > /usr/lib/atlas
> >
> > /usr/lib/libc5-compat
> > /lib/libc5-compat
> > /usr/i486-linuxlibc1/lib
>
> Here is mine:
>
> /usr/local/lib
> /lib/i486-linux-gnu
> /usr/lib/i486-linux-gnu
> /usr/X11R6/lib
>
> I don't recall if the first line is something I added or if it is the
> stock configuration.
>
> > Some more possibly usefull infromation
> >
> > g++ -g -O2 -Wall -Woverloaded-virtual -o .libs/test_mblock
> > test_mblock.o  -pthread ./.libs/libmblock-qa.so -Wl,--rpath
> > -Wl,/usr/local/lib
>
> On my Ubuntu 6.10 system:
>
> g++ -g -O2 -Wall -Woverloaded-virtual -pthread -o .libs/test_mblock
> test_mblock.o  ./.libs/libmblock-qa.so

I recall something in a Debian or Ubuntu bug report about them
changing whether or not they use --rpath based on whether the
destination directory was listed in /etc/ld.so.conf.  It appears that
they are still doing this, and that this could account for the
difference in behavior.  (Seems a bit fragile...)

Tim and Johnathan, can you each perform another experiment for me?
First off do a "make uninstall" to ensure that the install path is
empty.

Then, Tim, please add /usr/local/bin to /etc/ld.so.conf and try

  ./bootstrap
  ./configure
  make
  make check

Johnathan, try the opposite: remove /usr/local/lib from /etc/ld.so.conf
then

  ./bootstrap
  ./configure
  make
  make check

Thanks for your assistance on this.  We may be honing in on the
fundamental libtool change that was made in Debian and/or Ubuntu.

Eric